(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6.6.10

TRIFFIDS!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!


I don't want to alarm you but I have found some Triffids in Queensland. Fortunately, these specimens appear to be dormant at the moment so I was able to get up close and personal. The bottom photo which I took from the safety of my car shows 3 of them growing in the main street of Nambour, 2 on the right and one on the left. The other 2 shots are of a 4th specimen I was able to get much closer to. Having just started watching the latest movie version of Day of The Triffids, it wasn't difficult for me to imagine these guys uprooting themselves and lumbering down the main street. In some ways this plant looks like an upside down, rather spindly banana tree, the flower being very similar to a closed banana flower. It's another Unidentified Floral Object (UFO) which is quite apt in this case, so let us know if you have a real name for it.
[edit 13/11/10 - found it! and another example from Taronga Park Zoo where I discovered that my first photo was only the beginnings of the flower; it continues to expand and is quite beautiful. Sydney was awash with these things; obviously just landed their spaceship at the airport because that's were most of them were, sneaking towards the city along the middle of the road pretending to be the Gymea Lily (Doryanthes excelsa), which is native to NSW - how cunning]

No comments:

Post a Comment