(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

22.12.18

TAKING IN BIT OF TASMANIA...

It's been three months since I posted anything, not that many people read my blog, but I guess if I could continue burbling on about "stuff", it might be cathartic for me, if nothing else.  
Recently, I was offered the opportunity to house sit for some very generous friends in Hobart while they were away on a cruise, with use of their vehicle as well, which was too good an offer to turn down so I asked Pam if she'd like to come too. Here are some highlights of our short visit...
On arrival (1.30pm by the time we settled in) we decided to drive up Mt Wellington for the view. I have to confess though, that this photo was taken on the last morning of visit, I didn't think to take one that afternoon.
 Most of the week the mountain was shrouded in clouds...
That afternoon the clouds made the view a bit murky and by the time we got up to the top (after stopping to take photos) we couldn't see any view at all.
I'd have happily stayed there all afternoon looking at the wildflowers, most of which I can't name except for the Tasmanian waratah and the pretty pink ground orchid which is called caladenia gracilis or musky finger-orchid.
Next day we took a drive up to the Bridestowe Lavender Farm, north of Launceston. It's a three hour trip from Hobart so we left early.  This time around I was pleased to see the lavender was out. Last time, I was there in March and it had all been harvested in January. 
Mind you, I don't think it was quite ripe or ready, whatever one says in regards to flowers as the colour wasn't as, well, purple as I'd expected... 
[detour: the next day we headed off on a tour of Bruny Island and on the way there, the bus driver stopped at Margate for the very purple lavender that's grown there. Quite a difference in the colour for some reason.]
On the way back from Launceston, we went looking for cherries as per the road signage but got a bit lost so we detoured to the historical village of Ross where the local two-L llamas were very curious about us...
The Ross bridge is very picturesque and very old...
... as was this beautiful little church.

More on our wanderings around Tassie later...


No comments:

Post a Comment