(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5.1.21

TIRED OF TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK???

 

Are you sick of the Entitled Ones? You know them (or are one). They are the people who are above Community rules and regulations. They have no need to read and obey official signs/rules/laws. They come in all shapes/genders/ages. They are golden apparently and are not bound by the same procedures and courtesies as the rest of us. But don't point out those signs/rules to them in public unless you're a brave soul because foul language and intimidation often helps them justify their position.

Littering?  A few papers and butts won't hurt. There's no bin here.

How many fires have started because some idiot threw a lit butt out the car window? How much plastic is IN the food we eat because of discarded plastic in the ocean? And don't get me started on the damage done to our precious wildlife because of thoughtless littering.

No right turn?  How ridiculous! That can't mean me. I can get around safely. 

                    Yes, it does. If you cause an accident you'll be to blame. Not that you care.

Speed limit?  I was only doing 10k over the limit. I'm a safe driver.

                    People exaggerate; it was probably 20k over. An accident waiting to happen. Of, course, it                     won't be your loved one who is lost in an accident. Or will it?

No dogs off leash?  My dog is fine and needs to run.

                    Not everyone thinks your mutt is fine & some may have a terror of  unleashed dogs.  Some                      birds and other wildlife build nests on the ground are in danger from wandering dogs                                and cats.  

Pick up dog faeces?  I'm not doing that! a bit of dog poo won't hurt anyone.

                    If someone slips on it or it's washed into fresh water, it will.

Keep the cat in my yard?  Impossible!

                    No, it's not.  Every heard of a cat run or keeping your cat indoors. Safer for them actually                        and for wildlife they hunt.

No Parking?  But there's nowhere else to park except this driveway. I won't be long.

                    Tell that to the person who can't get out of their yard and is late for an appointment thanks                        to your thoughtlessness. Or the employee who is late for work because you're in their                                 parking spot, provided by their employer.

Loud music?  It's my house. I can play my music as loudly as I like!

                    Why should I or anyone else have to listen to your music? I'm not forcing mine on you.

Small things sometimes for sure, but don't we all as a Community have an obligation to care about our neighbours and how our actions affect others?  People, pets and wildlife are at risk of injury or death because of this selfish behaviour, causing accidents, disturbances and sometimes fear. Common courtesy has become a lost art.

What is the answer? For a start, speak up if bad behaviour or something else is bothering you. Don't assume someone else will make a complaint. Report loud parties and traffic offences. Tell Council about problems on their patch.

Kindness doesn't cost money and showing children the right way to behave might start a revolution of common courtesy.

I, for one, am tired of turning the other cheek.  Who's with me?





2 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! I agree wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are an insightful person... :D

      Delete