(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

29.12.11

THE TWO-L LLAMA...

These pretty (and curious) creatures were encountered during a walk while staying with friends and reminded me of one of my favourite poems from high school (by Ogden Nash):



The one-L lama,
He's a priest.
The two-L llama,
He's a beast.
And I would bet
A silk pyjama
There isn't any
Three-L lllama.

This poem was only rivalled by another favourite:

I Eat My Peas with Honey
By Anonymous
I eat my peas with honey;
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife.
Source: The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (1983)

I remember many parents thought it ridiculous that these poems were part of the curriculum particularly for high school students.  We, on the other hand, loved them.