(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9.6.12

YELLOW UFO NAMED...

I posted about this perfumed plant a couple of years ago (before What's This Wednesday when I referred to them as Unidentified Floral Objects).  What a joy it is to find out the name of one of these elusive plants. Pardon the pun actually because apparently this plant is used to make the most expensive perfume in the world called... wait for it.... "Joy".  Not that I'd know anything about that, loathing manufactured perfumes as I do. 
However, this tree (not shrub as advertised) with the delicious fragrance which lives around the corner is called magnolia champaca or michelia champaca.  In the previous post I speculated that it could be a magnolia given how magnolia-like the waxy petals were but at the time couldn't find anything about a yellow one.  Perhaps my computer skills have improved or I was just lucky (actually looking for something else).  I wish I had a scratch and smell facility for you...