(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.10.12

ANIMAL CRACKERS XIX - WHO'S THE LEADER OF THE CLUB???


When I first read about the Mickey Mouse plant or Ochna serrulata, I found it hard to believe it had yellow flowers as I had only ever noticed the shrub when it was resplendent with bright red sepals and black berries.  
This year I was prepared, and the minute I noticed yellow flowers on a neighbour's shrub, I took a couple of shots and then had to wait for the 'fruits' to arrive.
Double Mickey?

Perhaps I should have stood on my head to get the true effect of the black Mickey Mouse ears. As Mickey Mouse has only been around for a mere 82 years, I wonder what nickname the plant had before that?
Although not a declared pest in Queensland, it is considered an environmental weed in some council areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment