(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2.5.13

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

Your eagle-eyed reporter spotted this gorgeous little native orchid while on a guided bush walk with Horizon Guides yesterday in the Mount Barney National Park. 
 I'm reliably informed that it's the hyacinth orchid although it doesn't look like a hyacinth to me nor did I discern any scent, but what a beauty she is, despite the confusing name. I guess it comes with the territory though because the plant is growing on the lower slopes of Mount Maroon (as in marooned at sea).  And the blotches of colour on the petals are described as maroon (rhymes with own)!
 I guess you'll have to venture out into our beautiful bushland to see one for yourself as they apparently can't be transplanted.  I treasured the opportunity to see it, and other stunning natives, in situ.

No comments:

Post a Comment