(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3.8.14

ANOTHER FEATHERED SUNDAY....

Pure luck had me at the back door the other day as this beauty flew to a nearby tree.  I managed to get inside and grab my camera and get off 2 quick shots before he flew away, after apparently deciding I was not suitable prey.  Phew! With the help of a friend I can tell you this is a Pacific Baza or crested hawk. I was happy to get a decent snap of him and am only sorry I didn't see the front as they look quite different with barred chest feathers.  At first glance, before he turned his head to give me the death stare, I thought it was a very large pigeon. But no, a very regal chap indeed.
The next day I stalked my own prey.  I have posted about these osprey previously here; they have a nest in a telephone tower near where I work.  After I finished my shift the other morning, I parked near the tower and watched this fellow preen himself in the morning sun for quite a while before I got bored (and sleepy) and drove home. They are quite magnificent. 
Today, I heard a bit of squawking and carrying on in the wild tobacco plant in the back neighbour's yard and was interested to watch this quite small female figbird gulp down a couple of huge fruits from the plant. Here she's working out how to get the first one down....
... and here she is having succeeded. I almost heard her gulp!
 This is the male of the species which has, as you can see, quite different colouring, both around the eyes and the feathers. 

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps it is the Lesser Crested Julie Bishop bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did ask around for you Badger but apparently they (and their raucous cry) are almost extinct! Thanks for the suggestion..,.

    ReplyDelete