(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

26.8.17

LIFE EXTENDING "HERB" IS WORTH A TRY...

 A former neighbour of my mother's came to visit us the other day and reminded Mum of a wonder herb she'd planted on their fence line some years before.  Sambung or Moluccan Spinach are a few of its names in Asia where it is well known for its health benefits.  I was charmed by the pretty flowers of course. 
She had purchased the plant at Shippards Herb Farm here in Nambour and was pleased to see it had virtually taken over the fence since she'd moved.  She said it was just about anti- everything and could be eaten fresh straight from the vine/bush and urged me to try it. I've since read up a bit about it and am giving it a go as a general tonic, taking a couple of leaves every day (for the past 2 days anyway :D).  It doesn't have an offensive taste so I will see if my very ill mother can stomach some as tea.  Can't hurt I'm thinking.
I'm told the plant can be struck from cuttings or grown from seed so am also trying to strike some myself, one in water and one in a pot.  I'm interested to see just how easy (or not) it is and whether it helps Mum.
Stay tuned...
[edit 29.9.17 - both ways of striking cuttings were successful and I now have several potted plants]

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this herb before! It looks very weird, but I hope it helps your Mum :)

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it would grow in South Australia, Di. I've been eating 3 leaves every day just in case! Mum is not keen to try it unfortunately :( but thanks...

      Delete