(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4.1.19

A (DOG) ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME...

On our recent trip to Tassie, Pam and I were taken with all the flowers along the side of the roads wondering what they were. 
Finally we stopped near enough to take photos and found they are dog roses. Perfect for the Animal Crackers series. However, I didn't notice any fragrance so that I could finish the title with "would smell as sweet".
***
In an interesting aside, during that same trip we often noticed fields of white flowers, and we idly wondered what the farmers were growing that was so pretty.  Eventually, curiosity got the better of us and I was able to stop at a U turn close enough to use the camera (but still too far away really). Turns out they are poppies and after further investigation I found out there is an opium industry in Tassie. Who knew? It is in decline apparently though and you can read more about that here.

2 comments:

  1. aw how pretty the roses are. It's always lovely to see pretty roadside plants isn't it.
    I see what you mean about the field of white poppies, gorgeous! Seeds from them are the ones we can eat apparently. Appreciated the link you provided. Amazing to think that Tassie produces half of the world's raw material for pain relief !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for visiting. I'm trying to do better with the blog. I found the whole poppy thing really interesting so glad you did too.

      Delete