(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9.1.19

THE AMAZING NESTING TREES OVER THE CREEK @ THE PONDOMINIUM...

I was platypus hunting near the Maleny Showgrounds when I first realised these big quandong trees are home to at least five different nesting birds (I always thought it was one tree until I took this photo for the post). I'd never realised that such different birds could co-exist in a nesting situation.
 To be honest, I was so intent on searching for a platypus, I didn't notice the bird's nest right in front of me until Mr or Mrs Restless Flycatcher swooped in with some nibbles for the fledglings.
And what a beautifully constructed nest it is, even down to the aesthetically pleasing and artfully placed moss.
After feeding its brood, she/he settled herself down on top of the chicks and gave me the stink eye. My cue to rack off... until next time.
...but then I caught sight of a spangled drongo watching me from another (rather ramshackle) nest in the same tree so I moved a little closer... and so began my interest in the huge quandong nesting tree that hangs over the Obi Obi creek near the showgrounds.
I've been back every now and then to get photos of the various chicks' progress. Here the drongo mum/dad (only ever saw one bird with the chicks or on the nest) had just fed the chick (there were two) and then flew off to watch me from a nearby branch and didn't return. Right, I got the hint and left, not wanting to be the cause of starving chicks.
Here they are a day away from actually leaving the nest. I didn't see them fly away but they were seen the day after this photo was taken on other branches in the tree by a fellow bird photographer.
I counted nine nests in the tree at one stage and there are probably more that my untrained eye can't see. I didn't see any action in this much larger nest that's high up in a nearby tree. Some are vacant at the moment and I don't know if they get reused although the moss on the flycatcher nest makes me think it may have grown there over time. Maybe I'll find out next year.
 Here we see the male and female fig birds sharing feeding duty. 
Again, their nest is not as beautifully constructed as the flycatcher's although In this second nest, looks stronger. This female was very wary probably because her nest is much closer to the bridge. I can see vine tendrils in there and it looks stronger. There was a male in there the last time I went back.
Here, the male peewee (or magpie-lark) is taking a break from duty while the female settles in. 
This is a vacant nest above theirs which is similarly very well constructed from mud and lined with grass so no chance of eggs or chicks falling through to the creek below which, I was told by a regular passer-by, is what has happened to some drongo nests over the past couple of years after storms. Natural selection I guess but still sad.

Finally, the willy wagtail abode...  Here one parent is feeding the chicks; no idea if male or female as they are very similar in appearance.
Their nest is another work of art. They cover outside the nest in spider web, tres shabby chic!
Not sure which parent this is but every time I go to the bridge, he/she flies onto the railing. Here it's looking very ruffled, perhaps just had a swim.
Here is where some of the currently occupied nests are located. One good storm or wind and some of them could be in the drink. Two figbird nests are occupied at the moment.
I do love the leaves of these trees when they turn a magnificent red too.




2 comments:

  1. Wow Sandy... what a fantastic treat - to see all these nests.
    Your shots are wonderful.
    Aren't the nests so delicately, and beautifully, made.
    You did so well finding these, thanks for sharing them :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, might be an obsession actually... :D Couldn't believe how sweet the flycatcher nest is. I saw some finches in another area building a nest and it's HUGE, compared to their size anyway, too hard to photograph as they've cunningly built it inside heavy shrubbery. Gotta love nature.

    ReplyDelete