(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30.7.19

THROUGH THE WINDOW...

An advantage to having clean windows is some of the great things you see. Sometimes I get a better shot because of the vantage spot or because I know the critter I'm spying on can't see me so doesn't take off the minute I bring out my "shotgun". 
The little brown honeyeater above is a great example. It would have taken off in a shot  had I been outside. It was raining anyway so I wouldn't have been able to use my camera unless I was also juggling an umbrella!
The male satin bowerbirds I've seen in the jacaranda have been very skittish so I usually snap them through the window.
This is Brucey who will usually turn his head before I can snap him. Don't think he could see me properly here; was probably trying to work out what I was doing.
Green catbirds hop around in the jacaranda too and are also very skittish; because of their colour are often hard to spot. Besides their famous "catcall" they often utter a high pitched "twit" first, which is usually alerts me to their presence so I can try to find them.
 I may have posted this guy before, small green banded blue butterfly. I've seen dragonflies as well on the other side of the glass.
 I'd be ecstatic to see this bird return. It's a grey goshawk and was on the other side of the tree then my battery died before I could get outside to try for a better snap and it was gone when I got back.  Gotta be happy with this though. 
 Not sure if this is the same kookaburra in both snaps but they were taken on the same day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I could have gone outside I think though, because the kookaburras (along with magpies, currawongs and crows) are more used to human interaction.
These guys, brown thornbills, give me endless entertainment. I could watch them all day as they flit around, splash in the bird bath and admire themselves in the metal struts.
I've had a few tree snakes around and been outside to photograph them but this one (and another posted a while ago) I only took through the window. It was trying to get up into the ceiling via the deck but because I'd blocked it off, it couldn't get up and at one stage went "splat!" on the deck. This was taken shortly afterwards and it looked annoyed, or so I thought at the time. I've since had part of the deck glassed in so, hopefully, that will dissuade them from coming in, unless I leave the windows open of course. 
And lastly, a female cicada bird which I couldn't have seen (or snapped) except from inside the house. Love seeing the birds in the trees outside. Currently up to 43 different species in the trees and shrubs around the house. The latest was a male golden whistler but unfortunately he was too quick for me and I didn't get a snap of him. I'll keep watching (and window washing) though.

2 comments:

  1. Loved seeing through your window with you Sandy.
    It's amazing to have counted so many species in the trees around your house, it must sound incredible at times.
    Great photos all of them, the Kookaburra especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. The magpies, currawongs and pied butcher birds are particlarly musical. Never tire of hearing or seeing them. Thanks for visiting. Am trying to blog a bit more.

      Delete