(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5.3.17

SUNDAY, BUGGY SUNDAY...

Today I seemed to notice more insects than usual on my walk and in the garden (perhaps because I got stung by a wasp yesterday), but my favourite was this graphic flutterer dragonfly! I'd never seen one before but it was the fluttering that gave it away. I found him hard to photograph because it was so skittish, the slightest movement on my part and it would flutter off and because it's so small it was difficult to focus on with a background of flowers and foliage. Luckily, I was able to move slightly to put the house wall behind it. I would have loved to see it's face but alas, that would have meant trespass! I think it looks like a bi-plane... "Chocks away, Ginger!"
Not the best shot of a blue banded bee, but I'll take what I can. They don't land for long on flowers (in this case some comfry), not as long as a honey bee anyway.
This pretty ladybird spent at least 2 days on the chive flowers; must not have heard the call to "fly away home". Such a tiny, shiny little bug, dulled only by the pollen. On a side note, Pam told me you can eat the chive flowers (seems logical now I know) and I munch away on them whenever I'm watering the garden.  The buds thrown in a salad would give a little garlic hit.
I think this is a hoverfly. Difficult to tell with its head shoved into a basil flower.
March fly I'm thinking, too high up to get a look at its head front on and I didn't want it landing on me anyway.
[edit 11/3/17 - Found this shot taken a few weeks ago of a March fly on the clothes line which is much sharper and shows its face!]
Naturally, the garden is alive with spiders and I will keep running into the webs around the place. Ugh, many a "spider dance" accompanied by requisite shrieking done around here. This guy is so tiny, and prickly looking.
This fellow was busy bundling up his lunch (of decaying bugs by the look) this morning. I went back later and he, and it, had gone. 
There's always something happening in the garden if you look.

It is common knowledge now that we depend on insects for our continued existence; that, without key pollinators, the human population would collapse in less than a decade. John Burnside

4 comments:

  1. Hi there Sandy, I think your collection of bugs is terrific! Great photos especially when they won't look around for that face shot ;D) You did so well with the skittish and the shy ones.
    I'm fascinated with (looking at) spiders and those photo of yours on the flower and with his 'tuckerbag' are superb... to see those fine hairs on the legs. They're so clever when they weave their webs too.
    Always a delight to visit Sandy... cheers now :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, sometimes I manage a face. I actually found a much better march fly I might add to this collection, no sure why I didn't use it, probably forgot I took it. Yes, to see the spider's hairy tuckerbag was quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the closeup of the march fly you added today Sandy! Great shot :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, somehow forgot about him but chuffed with him.

      Delete