(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

28.2.19

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT....

Hahaha, not really... more birds, more walking!
This magnificent creature is a black shouldered kite and I took its photo in the Maleny Community Precinct walk a few weeks ago. The half dead tree in which it's posing is also a popular roosting spot for a lot of other birds. This morning, at different times on the walk, I spotted the kites, 
a couple of pied butcher birds (reckon this one was waiting for the kites to leave) and 
six galahs using the tree. I have been trying to walk in the area at least 4 times a week, weather permitting, although this morning it was overcast and I did get rained on. Despite that, it was still a wonderfully fulfilling walk because of the birds.
This cow with her familiar (cattle egret) was very interested in my activities.
I was standing on the platypus viewing platform (no platypus today) when this sweetie flew in and perched on the railing beside me. The absolute highlight of my walk. Once it had moved into the trees I was able to get a snap. It's a restless flycatcher and, who knows, maybe it's one of the fledglings in the nest I posted about here a while back.
 I'd heard about male cicadabirds and seen other people's photos of them from the area but this was a first for me.
The female was close by and I must say she's quite beautiful with her distinctive plumage...
 ....unlike the female red-backed fairy wrens which are very dull compared to the males.
I was surprised to learn recently that the males' stunning plumage is shown only during breeding season.  What the????
 I'm told that this photo is a male without his plumage (the beak is darker).  Amazing.
This little cutie is a shining bronze cuckoo... doesn't show here but the wings are an irridescent green in the right light.



2 comments:

  1. Wow - you can certainly find them Sandy!
    How about that Cicadabird... it's plumage is gorgeous, those little dots on its head too.
    Also the red backed wren.
    You're getting a lot of walking in - you'll be superfit for your holiday. Cheers! and I really enjoyed your post :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my walk Sue! Thanks for coming along :D I was going again this morning but somehow managed not to get up, although have promised myself to go this arvo for a change. Hopefully the wind and rain will have settled by then.

      Delete