(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10.3.19

WALKING WITH WET FEET STILL SATISFYING...

 This pretty dove was one of six brown cuckoo-doves feeding on shrubs near the platypus viewing platform on my walk this morning.
 And I wasn't disappointed by the platypus with one coming along just before I left. Only showed itself for a moment before disappearing under shrubs that line the creek. This area was where I saw one thrashing around in the reeds for some time with a waterhen pecking at it which worried me enough to call Wilvos. It had gone before they arrived though. They'd been called out previously about one with what looks like it's caught up in a hairband or similar. Attempts to find and treat that one have so far been unsuccessful.
Galahs are so cheeky. This one saw me taking photos and almost seemed to demand being captured for posterity.
Cattle egrets galore at the Maleny Precinct because of the cattle around, orange breeding plumage has faded. These three look like the Larry, Curly & Mo of their world...
By this time my shoes were sodden with the dew. "Oh, yes, Madam... these very expensive Adidas joggers are virtually waterproof but we'll hit them with some Scotchguard as well."  Grrrrr.  Two outings in them with heavy dew and both times might as well have been just wearing socks. 
Looking a bit tattered but I was quite taken with this mushie, gives it a lacey look.
 Spotted what I think is either a Wallum sedgefrog or dwarf green tree frog in the Wetlands. Jolly difficult to get this  because the frog and the reeds are so small, without wading into the water. "Why not if your feet are already wet?" I hear you ask... Well, I know red bellied black snakes like the wetlands too and last time I photographed frogs up in Cooroy (here), I barely missed standing on one of said snakes. Ugh. I'm content with this not-too-bad shot.
Thought this large web was pretty in the morning sun but didn't notice till I got the photo up on the computer that it's not round! Wonder why the owner didn't continue weaving up top? I can see it in the middle. Resting???
 This was a kind of accidental shot if I'm honest. Towards the end of the walk I was hot and steamy and my glasses fogged up. I couldn't see properly in the viewfinder, just my face reflected which got me even grumpier. Then the camera refused to cooperate by zooming in as it should. Anyway, I'd spotted a black shouldered kite in a particular tree and I was quite a distance from it so when I saw this in the viewfinder I took it although I knew it wouldn't be clear enough.  I could see it was feeding on something but was sad to see it was probably one of the little waterhen chicks I've been photographing of late. Then when the camera finally decided to play the game I couldn't find it again. Ah well. Mother Nature knows best. I've certainly seen way more waterhens than kites around the place.
Hope you enjoyed your walk as much as I did mine, despite the wet feet and frustration...

4 comments:

  1. Loved coming along with you on this walk Sandy ... hey! my feet are dry - you did all the work ;D)
    All your photos are great, they have action and a story in them.
    The unfinished web made me chuckle... perhaps the spider was a "near enough is good enough" type (lol, sometimes that works for me too!).
    Really enjoyed your post, shame about your joggers.
    Cheers and have a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, glad you enjoyed yourself! My feet are still wrinkly, or maybe that's just old age. I thought all spiders were perfectionists! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. You find the best things in nature! Love the cheeky galah and that spider web is a thing to behold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing what you find if you really look. Thanks for visiting...

      Delete