(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11.9.21

IF IT MOVES SHOOT IT...

I thought I'd post a few videos of some of the wildlife I see nearly every day. Often I take a video because it's too hard to get a still due to the amount of foliage or the swiftness of the subject or I think others might be interested in hearing what bird it is they hear but don't see. The behaviour of the creature is also of interest.
Here, two spotted doves were canoodling but I thought it interesting that the ?female? was clearly irritated towards the end.
This is a rakali, or water rat, Australia's answer to the otter. Fascinating to watch but so quick any still photography I've tried has been blurry.
Two new nestling willie wagtails visible for a short time when the parents changed over. Just hope this pair do better than the last few attempts at raising a family, due to weather or predation.
I heard this guy, male leaden flycatcher, long before I spotted him and then, too late, realised there was a female just above him which I missed.

Two fledging welcome swallows wait for their parent to literally drop their food into their mouths. I had to slow down part of it because the parent is so fast. A few days later, I saw the 'drop and swallow' being done on the wing. The parent does a fly past and the fledglings fly up to meet them where the food is exchanged. I haven't managed a video of that yet unfortunately.
Eastern whipbirds are so frustrating. They can be in a shrub right beside you but you can't see them to photograph. They love the gloom of the undergrowth so I took a video of this one foraging instead.
Azure kingfishers are so quick when they dive for their food, I'm in awe of people who publish photographs of them. I've taken lots of them sitting, watching and have managed a few videos of the dive. This one shows the freshwater prawn it caught too. 
Always a thrill to see platypus reacting with others as they're normally a solo animal. I've posted videos of them interacting with cormorants previously but here is part of the mating ritual. Normally the male will grasp the female's tail and it's a bit of a chase before the actual mating happens but here he's missed the tail and has her rear foot.
A neighbour alerted me to a large python in her yard so out I went with my camera to capture the action. I was pretty close to it and fascinating to watch it move.
I'd heard this bird for a couple of years before I actually saw one so videoed it so others would know what they hear.






No comments:

Post a Comment