(and sometimes the beast!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

17.4.21

BRINGING COLOUR INTO A WALK...

I'd not heard of Australia's only rainbow bee-eater before a friend kept waxing lyrical about them. So I was very excited to find some here in Maleny and later on the Coast at Toorbul. I've never managed a flying shot, which is unfortunate because to see them wheeling around in the sunlight is breathtaking.
Males have longer tail streamers...
So this would be a female...
I didn't realise I'd photographed the fly as well until I got home and after initally being annoyed I'd cut off the tail, I was pretty chuffed with the shot.
I've been told this unfortunate butterfly is a Macleays Swallowtail, although it does have yellow on it that I've not seen on a Macleays which are beautiful butterflies. I did feel sorry for it. At least it wasn't a precious bee.

I decided to do a short video to see if I could capture some flying around but when I saw the fly land on the end of the branch, I was hoping to see a snack and wasn't disappointed. They nest in burrows although I've not seen a nest yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment